Friday, November 11, 2011

FALL

Coach Mike recently included in his weekly missive, "I capitalize Fall because it deserves to be capitalized." To which I say Amen.

I've been on the mend for nearly two weeks after Marine Corps. Today is my first run. The sun is bright and the leaves are magnificent. The wind is gusting and the leaves dance in the road. Beach Drive is closed for Veteran's Day.

Out Nebraska to the bike trail along Oregon, entering Rock Creek Park. Rolling hills heading north, then right into the creek valley. To the left is a trail I've never run. Keep heading north until the trail hits the road, then pick up a familiar trail heading south. Running, alone, on a bed of leaves along the creek, forgot that the legs were rebelling when I started. Trail dumps me on Beach Drive not far above Rock Creek Parkway. Follow the bike trail to the Tilden climb, where a cyclist is struggling. Nearly catch him before the road flattens and he is gone.

Almost home, I am supposed to cross Nebraska and coast in. But the small road through a tunnel of trees to the right is too pretty, so back downhill, left on Nevada, follow it to Military. One final climb to Connecticut before calling it a run.

Tears in the eyes. It's either the cold wind or something else. You guys are runners. You understand.

Welcome, Jesse. Tell more about Big Sur, which I'm running next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment