Monday, September 26, 2011

Race Day

The rain held off, temperature not too bad in the mid to high 60s but really humid. Ted J. came out to Hamptons the night before and crashed with me in the large two bedroom ocean front condo I rented for the price of a mid-price hotel room. Van from Running Away (great travel company for marathons and owner of Berkshire marathon) took us to East Hampton high school where race began. Less than 550 marathoners although the half sold out at 2500. Almost missed starting gun while in line for porta potties. No harm although no real time to stretch.

Went out fast with Ted pacing me. Half-marathoners split off at mile 5 or so. Prettiest course I have ever run. County roads, paths, and a few trails winding through the east end of the Hamptons with some nice views of fancy houses, dunes, the bays, and a glimpse or two of the ocean here and there. Kept my pace through mile 15 or so and then wilted in the humidity. Slow with cramping through mile 20 or so. Didn't need the hills from 17-19 but very pretty stretch. Managed to pull it together after that and finish in my third fastest marathon, a few seconds faster than my first one back in 2003 and my fastest since May of 2008. Nice to run without injuries for a change, it makes a difference. Now if I can just figure out a way not to walk so much.

Ted was great company pacing me through mile 19, and then.... (the rest is his story).

Very grateful for hot tub back at the hotel and my favorite lobster roll place which was less than a mile from the hotel. Finished, had fun, no injuries, made my rough time goal. Not even that sore. Life is good.

1 comment: